[ARDF] ARDF opportunities in 2013

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 18:40:19 PST 2012

Is anyone interested in some ARDF during or around Hamvention (in Dayton,
Ohio), which is May 17-19 this year?

We've never really seen enough interest, but with the US/Region 2 Champs so
late in the year, perhaps there is this year.

There are other events such as Four Days in May (FDIM) for QRPers that use
the Thursday before Hamvention for "other activities".  And the days are so
long that time of year that we can have significant courses by working
around normal Hamvention hours.

Just throwing out the idea... It will be greener than fall or spring, rain
on at least one day almost guaranteed, and if you do a day at Hamvention
plus an afternoon ARDF, you will sleep well.

Here are the Hamvention Hours, from :

Friday Activities
8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Outside Exhibits open
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Inside Exhibits open

Saturday Activities
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Outside Exhibits open
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Inside Exhibits open, forums, exams, scheduled
activities

Sunday Activities...
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Outside Exhibits open
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Inside Exhibits open

I'd propose something like:
Thursday: Practice all day. 1 or 2 parks.
Friday: 5pm 2m at Germantown Metropark.
Saturday: 5pm Something Sprinty plus a Dinner.
Sunday: 9am 80m, probably close to Cincinnati or Englewood (near DAY
airport)

One modification would be to add a Fox O on Thursday, so there would be a
1-park practice from 9am to 3pm, then a Fox O at 4 or 5pm or so.

One click more extreme would be adding Wednesday:
Wed: Practice and Fox O
Thurs: 9am 2m classic, Lunch, 80m Practice
Friday: 5pm 2m short course
Saturday: 5pm 80 sprint plus dinner
Sunday: 9am 80m classic.

The Dayton Club (MVOC) has a lot fewer maps than OCIN, so the Wed/Thursday
events would probably have to be near Cincinnati.

**I haven't mentioned this to Dick or Brian yet**, so there may not be any
support for it. But it seems like a good year to reconsider the idea.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati