[ARDF] 80m antenna patterns: Sense v. No Sense...

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Thu May 12 10:14:45 PDT 2011

I'm looking for a simple explanation of how a sense antenna works.

Does a simple explanation exist? (It's for a presentation, so words or
pictures in any combination are okay.)

I gave an ARDF presentation the other day, and, although no one asked me, I
was worried someone was going to ask, "How does that work?"

My answer was going to be, "I have no idea."  (I have some vague idea that
there is an E- and and H-component that are somehow balanced to null one of
the lobes and produce a one-peak, one-null cardiod pattern.  Or something.)
If there is no other way, even some equations would be okay.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati