[ARDF] Smart phones and stupid cheaters

Gerald Boyd wb8wfk at covad.net
Tue Jan 11 17:36:02 PST 2011

Charles
We are allowing cell phones and 2 meter HT's to be taken on the course at
the region II championships this summer because it's a safety issue. There
is some coverage at our venues in high locations.

That was also allowed in Taxes a few years ago and I think it's a good idea
to provide a safety net in the event someone needs help (assuming they have
cell service at their SOS location).

So if someone has an I phone and they want to run your SDR receiver app on
it, we will not stop them from using that device as an ARDF receiver.

What we will do is have course marshals in the field and if they see anyone
talking on a phone or 2 meter HT for non emergency reasons then they get
DQed.

We will also ask anyone that will be taking a phone on the course to give us
the phone number. At our last meets conducted in Albuquerque (2001 and 2005)
we allowed 2 meter HT's to be taken on the course as a safety measure.
Safety first.

I also like your idea about an app that can monitor if the phone was used
for com.

Jerry