[ARDF] Looking ahead to ARDF apps

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 08:22:01 PST 2011

>From the feedback received so far (most of it off list), no one has raised
any technical issues that should limit the use of handheld computing devices
for simulating or for implementing tools for use in ARDF competitions.

Regarding the use of cellular-capable smart phones, again, no technical
issues have been raised regarding why they should not eventually be accepted
for use in international competitions.

So I think a logical next step would be to start experimenting with an
actual app designed for use in ARDF.

Before such an app goes live on an App Store, there is a lot of work to be
done. In developing iSDR I found that alpha and beta testers are essential
to creating a stable and usable app. Beta testers can live anywhere in the
world, and have any level of experience (even zero!) in sport, radio, or
software. Testers just need to be willing and able to try new software, and
provide written feedback describing their experiences. *Please contact me if
you would be willing to help with beta testing.*

There are new areas of app development (at least new to me) that will need
to be explored and understood in order to develop a truly useful ARDF
app.*I would love to hear from anyone who has any experience with Open
Street Map
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/), or other free unrestricted open source
mapping resources.* (For a number of reasons Google maps will not be
suitable for ARDF.)

73,
Charles
NZ0I