[ARDF] Re QST article

homingin at aol.com homingin at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 22:29:24 PDT 2011

Ken Harker wrote:
> There's an ARDF-related article in the current issue of QST

There's a "story behind the story" here.? Mark Spencer developed this transmitter for the Teachers' Institutes he conducts every year, which bring in teachers from around the country to learn all about many aspects of ham radio.? Inclusion of transmitter hunting in the TI's came about because I and some others pointed out to Mark how well it fits into an Amateur Radio curriculum in schools.? Mark has taken that ball and run with it, but it means that there are many teachers around the country who have learned from him how great transmitter hunting is, but they don't have any local support for doing it with the kids in their home towns.

So if you've been bemoaning the lack of ARDFers in your area, why not check with your local schools to find out if there is a teacher who is using ham radio in the classroom.? I'll bet that this teacher would welcome the help of you and your fellow ARDFers in putting on foxhunts for the kids, providing RDF gear for loan, and so forth.? Who knows, there may be a future ARDF youth champion in your town!

73,
Joe Moell K0OV