[ARDF] 2011 Region 2 ARDF costs, bus, and late registration

Michael Pendley k5atm at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 08:51:25 PDT 2011

>From the 2011 Region 2 ARDF Championship organizers:

All,

We seem to have three issues -- The cost of the event (which is driven by the cost of a bus), the need for a bus, and late registration (which is driven by the hotel and bus).

Issue 1: Cost:

   Here is a very high level cost breakdown. These are
   rounded values to make the math easy here. Our work
   sheet has higher fidelity and many more line items:

   Per-person costs

      $60 meals (2 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 banquet
      $20 T-shirt
      $10 maps
      $15 insurance

      Total per-person = $105

   Fixed costs

      $140 Forest permits
      $80 Awards
      $100 Misc
      $400 Volunteers (2 lunch, 1 dinner, t-shirt)
      $1300 Bus. This is the same bus company we have used for
                 the last two events. It is a good size bus with
                 plenty of storage for supplies, radio gear, back
                 packs, etc. Fee also covers a driver with a CDL
                 for two days.

      Total fixed costs with bus = $2020
      Total fixed costs no bus = $720

The fee for volunteers is non-negotiable. We do not expect to have course setters / un-setters, start and end folks, etc. work the event for two days and not get fed or go away without a T-shirt.

Event cost for 20 people (with bus) = 20*$105 + $2020 = 2100 + 2020 = 4120
Per person (assuming 20) = $206 (again, based on rounded figures)

Organizers will be liable (will have to cover fixed costs) of ~$100 for each person under 20

Event cost for 20 people (no bus) = 20 * $105 + $720 = 2820
Per person (assuming 20) = $141

Organizers will be liable (will have to cover fixed costs) ~$35 for each person under 20

Again,  these are rounded estimates. Our worksheet has higher fidelity. Our published entry fee is $215 with bus. Revised entry fee if no bus would be around $150

Training camp costs are separate and will be managed by Marvin (info will be posted on event website with links to camp registration in a few days).

Issue 2: Need for a bus.

Given the venue locations, parking issues, need to transport volunteers, equipment, supplies, etc. -  the event organizers and region 2 officials all agree a bus is highly desirable. Could we get by without a bus -- yes.

Cost of the bus is approximately $65/person (assuming 20) for both days ($32.50/day). We can't go into details on how far the venues are but with $5.00 gas in our future we see that $65 ~ 13 gal gas (6.5 gal/day) for each person to drive to and from the venues.

The bus will also be used to transport supplies to the event venues and can also act as a shelter in the event of a storm and provides a quick mass evacuation in the event of a forest fire. We are in a state of very dry conditions this year that can also have sudden and short severe lightening storms. The bus will also assure that all competitors arrive at both sites on time.

So far no competitor has championed the use of a bus. If we do not use a bus we (the organizers) do not plan on securing transportation for anyone but organizers and volunteers. Competitors will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from the venues.

So -- this is your event. The bus is not absolutely necessary and is for  your convenience. We need to take a poll and the group will have to live with the result.  Bus or no bus?

Issue 3: Late registration

Given that we started all this with the bus option the organizers were faced with steep fixed costs that we would be personally responsible for. We needed time to cancel the bus without incurring fees if we did not get at least 20 people registering.

The organizers are also financial responsible for unsold hotel rooms if we cancel too late.

If we have the option (if we all agree) to drop the bus and drop the special room rate (after a TBD date) then we could push the drop dead registration date out. With no bus and hotel financial exposure we have alot more wiggle room.

Competitors can stay at any hotel they choose. However, we caution folks against staying in a hotel that is very far form the event hotel. We cannot hold up leaving for the venues for late arrivals.

Conclusion

We have two questions to be resolved by the group

1) Bus or no bus?

2) If no bus then should we push out drop dead registration at the cost of no special hotel rate for those that register after a date to be determined later.