[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Sun Sep 27 09:43:19 PDT 2009

Charles,

In what ways do you think ARDF needs to evolve? I'm not sure if ARDF
needs to evolve or if the way we are approaching promotion needs to
change ... or both.

I certainly agree with Vadim that a time committment needs to be made,
but that time also needs to be spent effectively. It is quite possible
we are repeating ways of promotion that are just not effective, so I am
starting to test different approaches.

Putting on an antenna building workshop prior to a hunt has brought out
some new people. And a couple of them show some real promise of being
potential competitors.

My next approach (besides the ARDF practice this month) will be to put
on some ARDF training on the afternoon of our next Scouting orienteering
meet at Firestone Boy Scout Camp. We will have training and equipment
for the scouts. I'm also thinking about an adult leadership training for
scout leaders who would like to know more about ARDF and how to help
scouts get involved.

Thanks!

Marvin, KE6HTS