[ARDF] I propose the next MMRA foxhunt be Saturday morning September 19

Tim Shepard shep at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 13 21:49:43 PDT 2009

I propose we do the next MMRA foxhunt Saturday morning September 19,
on the Weston 146.79 repeater input (146.19 MHz).

If MMRA will publicize this on the MMRA.org web page, I'll go
hide Saturday morning (September 19th) and be the "fox".

Official foxhunt start time will be the usual 10am, though I
plan to make a few bonus transmissions before 10am (possibly as
early as 9:30am), though I may be in motion during or between
any transmissions before 10am.  Those who are ready to take
bearings early may gain valuable hints about what general
direction they want to move in to get closer.  (I promise to
obey all speed limits and not use an aircraft.)

>From 10:00am onward, I will be stationary until the foxhunt ends.

Fox transmissions will be 30 seconds long each, and will occur
every five minutes (10:00am, 10:05am, 10:10am, etc.).

The boundary is a 10 mile radius from the Weston 146.79
repeater site and the fox transmissions must be clear through
the repeater (on the 146.79 repeater output, though the fox
will be transmitting on 146.19 MHz).

All candidate hiding locations must be places where the public
is obviously welcome.  There will be no need to trespass to
find me.

I'm studying maps carefully, looking for good places to go
hide, and the *entire* circle is in play.  So far, I have
candidate places in all four quadrants, and even I don't know
yet where I'll pick.  I may make a list of a dozen places that
cover the circle well and then flip a coin and roll a
six-sided die on Saturday morning to make the final decision.

Tradition is for many people to work as a group, at least at
the start, and exchange signal reports on the repeater between
fox transmissions.  Some who are hunting should at least speak
up on the repeater and say that they are hunting.  If no one
speaks up and acknowledges they are (still) hunting, I may give
up and go home.

Also tradition is that whoever arrives first at the fox
location will (if willing) schedule the next hunt and go hide.

The hunt will probably end around 12:30pm when I'll announce my
location.  Anyone who wants hints after 12:00 noon should ask
for them (on the repeater).

If there is interest, those who've arrived at the fox location
can go get lunch together.

     73 de kd1ky

			-Tim Shepard
			 shep at alum.mit.edu