[ARDF] Region 3 Championships in Thailand

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Fri Apr 24 07:48:03 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 06:20:19AM -0700, Dale Hunt WB6BYU wrote:
> When we were in Korea last year it was carefully explained to me that
> the ARRL is, in fact, a member society of IARU Region 3 because of the
> US possessions in the Pacific. (And the ARRL actually paid their dues
> on time, unlike some of the other Societies.)
>
> Therefore we can compete officially as a Region 3 Society rather than
> as visitors.
>
> (For those who collect such trivia, the RSGB is a member of all three
> IARU Regions.)

Actually, the RSGB is not listed in the directory of member societies of
IARU Region II, despite the fact that some territorial possessions of the UK
(the Falkland Islands, for example) are not otherwise represented with
their own societies (unlike the British Virgin Islands, which are represented
by the BVIRL):

http://www.iaru-r2.org/directory/

I've often wondered if that was an oversight, an artifact of how the
societies are listed by geography, or if the RSGB hasn't been paying
Region II dues...

The REF is likewise not listed as a Region II or Region III member society
despite French territorial possessions/departments in both regions
(Martinique, Guadaloupe, Marquesa Is., etc.).