[ARDF] Training camp?

bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Sun Apr 20 18:33:13 PDT 2008

I competed in Korea in late 1990's in a Region 3 Championship, my first
overseas.

The courses we did were in a mixture of farmland (paddy/rice fields) and
jungle. They had even gone out and specially hacked a few paths through the
jungle for us. In places you had to take those paths or else you wouldn't be
getting anywhere; in others it was a bit more open. Sometimes it made route
choice a bit constrained, but it wasn't quite as bad as Japan where if you
went off the tracks too soon it was a disaster.
One the 2m course we had a slightly unexpected huge amount of rainfall and
we started in a sportsground that started to resemble a lake. Glad wrap for
receivers was at a premium.
I also recall one map having gravestones all over a large part of it, and
they'd invented a special new symbol to show all these. At the time the maps
weren't IOF standard, but they did give a general idea. Vegetation wasn't
really mapped. I can probably find them if necessary.
One course they had a transmitter well within the 750m circle. Many
competitors, myself included, assumed the strong signal must be coming from
well up a distant hill instead of nearby and had to do an extra loop to pick
up this transmitter at the end. Organisers claimed that the "along the road"
distance exceed 750m rather than the line distance, but since you could go
cross country this was a bit irrelevant. I'd put this down to inexperience
though and I wouldn't imagine anything like that could happen at a World
Champs.

I think I'll be a bit too time constrained to do training overseas somewhere
this year as I'll be going to the Australian Orienteering Championships
(followed by Australian Mountain Bike Orienteering championships) shortly
after Korea. If any readers would be interested in looking for an excuse to
visit Queensland, Australia while they are nearby in Region 3 then I can
provide details.

Cheers,
Bruce