[ARDF] Transporting ARDF gear

Dale Hunt, WB6BYU wb6byu at arrl.net
Fri Jun 22 09:12:52 PDT 2007

   I haven't had any problems on domestic or international flights
   even carrying DF equipment in my carry-on luggage.  Make sure
   you have the headphones available in case an inspector wants to
   test the receiver to see that it really works.  I don't remember
   whether the slots on the Altai case screws are large enough to
   use a coin to unscrew them, but that would allow you to open it
   up without needing a screwdriver.

   I usually take my primary equipment in my hand luggage and my
   spares in my checked baggage, to increase the chances that I end
   up with at least one set of equipment when I get there.  I suspect
   with this group there should be enough spare gear that we can
   accomodate someone if their equipment doesn't arrive on time.

   Even a tape measure yagi has never raised any response from an
   inspector.  It doesn't look like a weapon on the X-ray, and
   they all recognize the tape measure materal if they see it.
   I've had more problems with an ordinary clipboard, where the
   metal clip looked like it could be a blade of some sort when
   X-rayed from the wrong angle.  My checked luggage has been
   inspected regularly, but I'd guess that a 5 pound block of
   Tillamook Cheese looks far more suspicious on the X-rays than
   my DF equipment does.

   However, conditions change, so check with your airline for
   the latest restrictions on what is permitted in hand luggage,
   since the rules change periodically.

      - Dale