[ARDF] maps]

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 14:14:06 PDT 2007

Mike,

    I wouldn't give up hope just yet.  Usually you can catch an early
afternoon flight without too much difficulty.  I recommend you keep an
eye on available flights to see what kind of a start/finish time you
need to make it work.

    Here's the light data for Sacramento, which should be nearly
identical to Tahoe:

For Mon, Sep 17 2007 PDT (GMT-7)
Midday at:            12:59
Length of day:        12:22

Naut  Twilight Start: 05:51
Sunrise:              06:49

Sunset:               19:11
Naut  Twilight End:   20:09

With sunrise at 6:49am, it might be possible to have a start as early
as 7:30 or 8.    I don't remember the drive time to Reno or
Sacramento.  Sacramento is probably the cheapest airport with a
reasonable drive.  A flight departure time of 2 or 3pm might be enough
to make it work. Reno might work as early as 1pm (although my
experience says Reno flights are expensive).

The big question is whether the organizers want to go to the trouble
to get transmitters out that early (and whether it's reasonable to ask
them to).

Matthew
Cincinnati