[ARDF] maps

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Jun 12 09:59:33 PDT 2007

pete sias wrote:

> Can someone point me to a source that will allow me to
> pick the area and print out maps to use?

As others have commented, orienteering maps are the gold standard but
rarely free and unlikely to be available for any particular location
unless it is an active orienteering venue.  Because they show local
terrain and vegetation, the maps need to be updated by field checking
frequently or they will become out-of-date and not accurately reflect
the course.  Topo maps can be downloaded from topozone.com but are less
than ideal, not enough detail and often rather old.  Google Earth may be
of some use to fine-tune topo maps but field checking is really the only
way to get a decent map.  Note that the map should be aligned to
magnetic rather than true north, or at least draw magnetic north lines
on the map.

> Second, I notice the rules  state the use of
> horizontal omni directional antennas on 2 meters. For
> ease of setting this course up for the first time I am
> using 1/4 wave vertical antennas. Is there a down side
> to this? Attenuation is more with vertical in foliage?

Tighter receiver beam patterns is the primary reason.  I have made
turnstile antennas for ARDF use, plans here:

http://www.west.net/~jay/turnstile.html

Marvin expressed an interest in kitting these up for sale, I don't know
if he has done so.

Alternatives for the elements to the brass rod are aluminum arrow
shafts, they're threaded 8-32 and work fine, lighter to carry and
slightly more broadband.

Also, try to rig things so that the antenna is 2 to 3 meters above the
ground, not just sitting on the ammo can.  This helps to normalize field
strength among the various foxes.  Otherwise terrain very local to the
transmitter may block the signal and make it appear much farther than it
is.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net