[ARDF] maps

Dick Arnett DArnett at stelizabeth.com
Tue Jun 12 09:09:28 PDT 2007

Pete,
Generally Orienteering quality maps are used for ARDF.  I do not think
you will not find orienteering maps of your area on the web.
Orienteering maps require a lot of field work and can be very expensive.
 Topographic maps that can be found on the web do not show enough detail
which would make it very hard to track your route as you run and DF.
The US Orienteering Federation http://www.us.orienteering.org/   list
two orienteering clubs in Kansas. Since orienteering and radio
orienteering use the same maps I would suggest contacting one of these
clubs an arranging an event that coincides with one of the events they
have.  As for the vertical antennas, horizontal polarized antennas tend
to have fewer reflections but it should not be a big problem.

Kansas
● Orienteer Kansas (OK) - c/o Gene Wee, 2223 Westchester Rd.,
Lawrence KS 66049-1635. 816-584-9367
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/7306/l

● Possum Trot OC (PTOC) - Possum Trot OC, c/o Richard Neuburger,
12114 W. 101st St., Lenexa KS 66215-1964. 913-888-1528 (Rneuberger at
gmail.com)  http://www.ptoc.org/index.htm

>>> pete sias <petesias at yahoo.com> Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:49 am >>>

Hello to all,

Here in Kansas we are noted for being the flatlands
but we do have wooded and hilly areas that dot the
landscape. Some are suitable in my area for setting up
a training area that can introduce people to radio
orienteering and spur interest in the sport.

With transmitters due in today from Marvin and boxes
drilled and ready for them, I am wanting to get a test
course set up but I need a source for topographic maps
that fit the ARDF scale and are down loadable, i.e.
free.
My searches have not turned up much in the way of
free.
Can someone point me to a source that will allow me to
pick the area and print out maps to use?

Second, I notice the rules  state the use of
horizontal omni directional antennas on 2 meters. For
ease of setting this course up for the first time I am
using 1/4 wave vertical antennas. Is there a down side
to this? Attenuation is more with vertical in foliage?

Tnx in advance,

Pete   NØOY

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and may contain
confidential and privileged information protected by state and
federal medical privacy statutes.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail
(attaching the original message) and destroy all copies of the
original message (including on your own computer and on any network
to which your computer is connected).