[ARDF] maps

pete sias petesias at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 06:49:10 PDT 2007

Hello to all,

Here in Kansas we are noted for being the flatlands
but we do have wooded and hilly areas that dot the
landscape. Some are suitable in my area for setting up
a training area that can introduce people to radio
orienteering and spur interest in the sport.

With transmitters due in today from Marvin and boxes
drilled and ready for them, I am wanting to get a test
course set up but I need a source for topographic maps
that fit the ARDF scale and are down loadable, i.e.
free.
My searches have not turned up much in the way of
free.
Can someone point me to a source that will allow me to
pick the area and print out maps to use?

Second, I notice the rules  state the use of
horizontal omni directional antennas on 2 meters. For
ease of setting this course up for the first time I am
using 1/4 wave vertical antennas. Is there a down side
to this? Attenuation is more with vertical in foliage?

Tnx in advance,

Pete   NØOY