[ARDF] Did you read the ARRL Letter?

Charles E. Scharlau cscharlau at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 8 09:51:25 PDT 2007

Here's my 2 cents on the ideal ARDF starter set:

1. 80M band only. Beginners don't need confounding factors like reflections
and broad antenna peaks/nulls.

2. Very simple receivers. I suggest something like the simple kits that Dale
Hunt has made available in the past, but I would make them even simpler: no
sense antenna, and no frequency adjustment (crystal controlled). I'd also
suggest using a rod antenna to reduce the size. I imagine a small box with
almost everything inside, an attenuation adjust and earphone connector on
the outside, and some Velcro for attaching a compass directly to the case.

3. The transmitter(s) can be simple CW TXs that identify using international
ARDF standards. Just count the beeps. Low power and just 1 km max distance
to start. One-minute on and several minutes off works nicely when giving
instructions, especially to youngsters, because it provides a quiet period
for question/answer time.

4. Beginners can work in groups, and share information to triangulate.
Everyone should have a receiver, compass, a map, and a good time.

When I've given demonstrations at a local middle school I've found that the
students at that age catch on very quickly. They are still into
hide-and-seek, turning knobs, and secret treasure maps... it is just the
right age to get started. Now the trick is how to get the parents to support
their interest and keep the kids involved!

73,
Charles
NZ0I