[ARDF] FoxOring Transmitters

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Tue Aug 1 00:05:07 PDT 2006

I've just laid out a pc board (approx. .760" x 1.250") for some foxoring
transmitters using 2 gates of a CD4011 as the crystal controlled oscillator and
the other two gates as a basic RC oscillator to turn the transmitter on and off
to provide a constant beep --- beep --- beep. All of the components with the
exception of the crystal are surface mount. These are very low power and should
be only heard for 100 meters or less, and powered by a 9V battery. Not knowing
how the power changes with battery voltage, I added a 5V 78L05 regulator
(surface mount of course) that can be jumpered out of the circuit if not
needed/wanted. The antenna connects directly to one of the CD4011 gates with no
filtering. Just a very basic crystal controlled oscillator.

While I could have just used perfboard, I'll be building 10 - 15 of these
things, and prefer using a pc board. These are all double sided, plated thru
holes.

If anyone is interested in some of these boards, please let me know. I laid it
out using the software for ExpressPCB. If nobody is interested, I'll just go for
the miniboard service (30 boards and I cut them apart.) If others would like to
go in on this, the finished boards vary in cost from about $3.80 each in
quantites of 50 to about $2.95 each in quantities of 100. Postage and any
handling (i.e. PayPal fees) would be in addition to the basic board cost. You
will need to supply your own parts.