[ARDF] Lost balloon needs RDF help

Homingin at aol.com Homingin at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 07:03:41 PDT 2006

Found on another list, posted April 9:

Wright State University in Dayton, OH launched a high altitude weather balloon around 10AM local time from Portland, IN. At approximately 57,000 ft. we lost contact with the payload which was transmitting its position on the APRS band using the callsign KD8CKD-4. As a backup plan, we had a CW beacon transmitting the message "WSU Balloon" on 146.565MHz. We have not been able to hear it recently. We expect the payload has landed somewhere between Columbus, OH and Dayton, OH. If anyone knows of its location or hears the beacon, please send information to corbett.4 at wright.edu.
Thanks!