[ARDF] Designing Championship Courses...

Bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Wed Sep 7 17:46:56 PDT 2005

> Matt,
> How about in region III last year where M60 got to decide on
> the course which three of the five they wanted to find?

That one was my fault. Being a course setter I simply didn't feel inclined
to go through all the permutations as Matthew's program does (especially for
3T), so I opted instead for letting the competitors do the hard work for me
:)  Yes, the Region 1 rules specified a particular 3 TX's, but I didn't have
to stick to the Region 1 rules, as long as I made the rules clear for our
Region 3 competition. I think it made the Supervets courses more interesting
than normal and created significant variation. Japan this year seems to be
adopting a prehistoric set of Region 3 rules instead of using Region 1 or
'our' rules as a basis, so I doubt that idea will be used.

In my 80m course the straight line distance was especially irrelevant due to
the extensive out-of-bounds areas on the map (one of which wasn't meant to
be there originally...one of those long stories).

The other trick I used is not numbering the TX's immediately. Since the
rules called up for a particular TX to be missed for each age group, and you
want to make some courses shorter than others, you pick the TX you want an
age group to skip, and that then defines it's number. The other TX you might
want to number specifically is the one closest to the start circle to avoid
being obvious.

Cheers,
Bruce