[Melb-ARDF] RE: [ARDF] Some information about Ukrainian Radios, I think...

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Sun Oct 30 23:07:05 PST 2005

bruce wrote:

> Do you mean "The tone mode is supposed to be more sensitive than the AM
> mode" ?
> Otherwise I don't understand your final statement there. How can you compare
> whoopie to tone if it doesn't have a whoopee ?
> Basic receiver sensitivity would also come into play if you are comparing
> two different units.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the 2M receiver and the receiver
is AM only.

When the switch is set to the whoopie mode, the whoopie tones will only
come into play once a certain signal strength is reached. For example,
if I am listening to a signal with the gain set at about 1/4 and I don't
hear a whoopie tone, I can turn the gain up and at some point, the
whoopie mode will come into play (assuming the signal strength is strong
enough to cause the whoopie to start.) On a very weak signal, the
whoopie mode will not come into play even though that is where the
switch is set and the gain is turned up fully. When the switch is set to
tone mode, even a very weak signal will cause a noticeable increase in
the tone as the signal gets stronger (like when the beam is pointing at
the source vs pointing away from the source.) That is why I said that
the tone mode is more sensitive than the whoopie mode.

Hard ot explain, but easy to hear :).