[Melb-ARDF] RE: [ARDF] Some information about Ukrainian Radios, I think...

bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Sun Oct 30 22:29:40 PST 2005

> >From what I can read (and guess having used a similar unit), the
> "threshold detector" is the whoopie mode. The tone mode is not
> a whoopie mode, but rather a constant tone that increases in
> volume with the strength of the signal. The tone mode is

OK a BFO, much like an 80m sniffer ? Will work with any carrier.

> supposed to be more sensitive than the whoopie mode, and that
> is my experience.

Do you mean "The tone mode is supposed to be more sensitive than the AM
mode" ?
Otherwise I don't understand your final statement there. How can you compare
whoopie to tone if it doesn't have a whoopee ?
Basic receiver sensitivity would also come into play if you are comparing
two different units.

> Pushing the "50M" or 200M" preset switches put the receiver
> into tone mode with the attenuators set so the tone can be
> heard if there is a signal present at 50 meters and 200
> meters respectively. Of course, this will also depend on the
> transmitter power output. I'm not sure what they are
> calibrated for, but I would guess about 1 watt. The gain
> control will still work as expected. << except when the button is pressed.

OK I understand. So if you were to calibrate a set of fixed ranges for
distance it would have nearly the same result. I generally do this on my
sniffers on the "practice day", writing down the range on the lid for
various distances.

Cheers,
Bruce