[ARDF] Update on 2006 USA ARDF Championships

Charles E. Scharlau cscharlau at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 20:47:16 PST 2005

Hi Dale,

You bring up a reasonable point. It is a point that Nadia and I deliberated
before arriving at the proposed awards policy. We believe that it isn't
clear that giving medals to overall finishers does less to promote ARDF in
the US. In fact, we think the opposite can be argued. Here is our reasoning:

1. The new policy should help make the US Championships more competitive. By
awarding medals only to overall champions, there will be fewer medals
awarded to those who finish in the top three by virtue of competing in less
competitive categories, or categories that have three or fewer competitors.
It is the competition that makes any sport interesting.

2. By recognizing the best competitors overall with the highest honors, we
will make our Championships more attractive to talented competitors
everywhere. Our Championships benefit from the presence of foreign talent in
several ways: as a team we are challenged to compete at a higher level; we
learn from their experience and knowledge; and they make our Championships
more appealing to USA newcomers who are curious about an activity that
people travel from around the world to attend. ARDF in the USA needs them.

3. The number of foreign competitors is relatively small compared to the
number of US competitors, and is likely to remain that way. Unless we start
offering significant prize money there is little risk of the US games being
dominated by foreign talent. Thus the focus will remain on US competitors.

4. By bestowing fewer medals, and only to the best overall, we give more
legitimacy to the US games. We are saying to ourselves, and the world, that
we are ready to be measured by international standards. That mindset can
only benefit the US team.

5. US competitors will still receive something that foreign competitors are
not entitled to: the chance to earn a place on the team that represents the
United States at the World Championships. Fewer medals does nothing to
diminish that prize.

Based on the feedback we've received so far, it sounds like the U.S.A. is
ready for its first Open ARDF Championships.

73,
Charles NZ0I