[ARDF] Competitions for W15 and M15?

bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 2 01:40:01 PST 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 18:20, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Matthew Robbins wrote:

> > So my question is this:  Why shouldn't we have W15 and M15 categories?

> > It sounds like the intent is to set courses specifically for M/W 15
> > and to not use the same courses for the older categories, but it
> > appears to me that the intent was also to allow both youth categories
> > to use three Ts of an adult course. (?)

> Finding two transmitters on an adult championship course over 3 to 5 Km
> will give the same length of run as a 5 Tx shorter course but fewer route
> choices.
>
> By offering a course with more controls, orienteering and DF skills
> become more of a factor than running speed or stamina.  The shorter
> distance allows younger competitors to finish in a reasonable time
> without tiring, but more transmitters tilts the playing to favor DF
> and orienteering skills over speed (as it should be).

How about making it *any* 2 or 3 TX's from the 5 rather than a specific set.
This is what Bob ran for Super-vets in our R3 champs. Re-introduces the
elements of route choice and DF competance, at a risk of some competitors
running too long a course (but... you probably get that anyway even without
TX choice).
Just an idea.

Cheers,
Bruce