[ARDF] finish corridor

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Aug 12 11:02:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Dale Hunt, WB6BYU wrote:

>    The new Region 1 rules were supposed to be very clear that all
>    competitors were required to run down the corridor and not duck
>    under the sides at any point.  The recent recommendation for
>    having competitors punch the finish beacon was an additional step
>    to force them to do so, since from that point the corridor should
>    be the easiest route to the finish.

I didn't see that in the rules at all.  No mention that any competitor
was required to use the finish corridor at all, merely cross the finish
line.  Contrast this with the rules for the start in section 24 which
clearly spell out the responsibilities of competitors with respect to the
starting corridor.

http://www.ardf-r1.org/html/ardfrules26b_rev1.htm

Section 26 describes the finish corridor and finish line, but says
only that the competitor's time ends when crossing the finish line,
not that the corridor must be traversed, can't be cut through, etc.

>    There were some problems with the finish corridor on the 80m
>    course.  The dry gulley beside it turned into a stream due to
>    a rainstorm during the night, which confused those who saw the
>    corridor on the wrong side of the stream shown on the map.

Well, I wasn't confused, just unable to easily get to the beginning
of the corridor without running half of it backwards because the
terrain across from the beginning of the corridor via the stream was
pretty rough.   :-)

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/