[ARDF] GPS on course?

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Thu Aug 11 19:26:48 PDT 2005

Normally, I also just read. At the discussion on Saturday morning after
the US Championships, we were talking about ways to increase
participation. We also talked about helping spectators to be more
involved. One of the methods was similar to what was done in the Czech
Republic where the Epunch results were radioed to the finish and
displayed on the screen. The same thing could be done if the armband GPS
units were able to transmit the results to the finish using perhaps APRS
protocol.

My thoughts are usually oriented towards increasing participation, and
this is no exception. GPS could prove useful for getting more people
involved by being able to see what routes the competitors are taking.
This could also easily be used for Orienteering competitiors.

Personally, I am not concerned about anyone thinking this is
inappropriate unless they also have some very good reasons. I had a few
problems with some people in the orienteering community thinking ARDF
was inappropriate when I first got involved. I took their concerns into
account, but kept at it. I haven't heard any real objections now for a
couple of years. Some (most?) people tend to resist change :).

Marvin