[ARDF] Ideas for 2006 USA ARDF Championships

bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Tue Aug 9 17:00:27 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 01:48, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:22:58PM -0400, cscharlau at earthlink.net wrote:
> > The two-meter transmitters, including the homing beacon, will transmit
> > using keyed-carrier amplitude modulation, just like at the ARDF World
> > Championships.
>
> I think almost every receiver I saw used this year was capable of AM
> reception, so this might only be an issue for newcomers.  If you make it
> clear that newcomers with equipment needs should still feel free to sign up
> and we'll work something out, then I don't see any problem.

Can I suggest a compromise that would be easier to implement and should meet
most people requirements ?
True, the full International rules specify AM, but it is more of a pain to
generate.
How about carrier-keying your FM transmissions ? Anyone using a whoopee (eg
Mk4) sniffer will not know or *care* about the difference. The DF difficulty
is pretty much identical to AM carrier keyed, but someone can still use a
handheld and offset attenuator easily. You can then still use your existing
FM transmitters (ex-handhelds or whatever) without building new AM-capable
transmitters. Just an idea....

Cheers
Bruce, (who did find the hunting the continueous carrier FM at Alberquerque
2001 last time made it artificially easier).