[ARDF] How did I do in Brno?

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Fri Sep 24 09:20:25 CDT 2004

Thanks MUCH for sharing your thoughts at the World Championships!!! This
is the type of information that everyone who competed should be sharing
with the rest of the team. I would certainly encourage everyone on the
US Team to also write down their course description and thoughts. It
certainly adds a dimension to the competition that others might be able
to appreciate, and perhaps get them to give it a try.

Well, I also had a truly great time in Brno, but in a different way
since I was one of the International Jurors along with Dale Hunt from
Region II. My main interest is in mainly in how to develop a competitive
US Team, and each time I attend the World Championships, I learn more.
Here are some of my observations that apply to most of our team.

In talking to Tcherman Gouliev from Russia in Slovokia (2002), his
comment was that he was basically a professional, and he was concerned
about taking seconds off his time. We are not in that position and most
of us need to be concerned about cutting tens of minutes from our time.

Serving as a jury member was a VERY enlightening experience since I was
able to see most of the top competitors in a competitive situation. The
most enlightening thing to me was the way these people came into the
control. They came in running with their SI stick ready to put into the
SPortID control, and took off running again in the direction they needed
to go next with no wait time. Most people came into the control, some
running and some walking, put their SI stick in the control, stepped
aside and looked at their map, looked around, decided which way they
wanted to go, and took off walking or running again.

One of the things I did at the hamfest (social gathering, not a
swap/meeting type event) was to get both Tcherman (M50) and Karel (M21
2M/80M winner) to write their course routes down on one of the maps.
There were some comments about how the top competitors knew enough to go
to number 2 first on the 80M competition for the second day. When I
asked Karel why he went to #2 first, he said that it was strongest. And
because of the terrain, it had to be located about where it was. This
implies we also need training in course setting techniques so we can
predict the location of the transmitters given a direction and signal
strength.

I have a LOT more comments, and will put them into some sort of order
and post them later. For anyone interested in competing, we will have
the US ARDF Championships again next year at a date and location yet to
be announced. Stay tuned, as it will most likely be announced on the
HomingIn web site (http://www.homingin.com) and the listservers.

Marvin, KE6HTS