[ARDF] Re: Protractors, 80m accuracy

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 00:02:35 CDT 2004

Sam wrote:

<<Yes, standing still is the problem. To use an azimuth grid you have to
stand still, take a bearing, translate that to the map, draw the line,
etc. etc. Any reliance on that would seem to be counter productive.>>

You don't have to stand still.  That's what is so cool about this method.

The reversed rosette can be read on the run.  There is no translation
of the number.  You just look at the grid, eyeball the correct
direction (important if the map is aligned for navigation), then put
the marker where you are and draw in the right direction.

I've had three really fast people show me this, and trust me, they don't stop.

One thing I've also seen is what Marvin was talking about.  If you
practice drawing bearings without a azimuth guide, you won't even need
it.  I like simplicity, so I prefer the azimuth guide or at least an
exclusion zone sticky with degrees on it.

Matthew
Cincinnati, Ohio USA