[ARDF] Re: Protractors, 80m accuracy

Sam Smith samfsmith at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 08:35:29 CDT 2004

<cscharlau at earthlink.net> wrote:
> For most of Team USA, I think it's the little things we can do to eliminate silly mistakes, >and time spent standing still, that will help the most. (Note: the two work against one >another.) An azimuth grid can help (a little) with both those things.

Yes, standing still is the problem. To use an azimuth grid you have to
stand still, take a bearing, translate that to the map, draw the line,
etc. etc. Any reliance on that would seem to be counter productive.

I don't have the experience that y'all do, but from what I have done
it seems to be a better plan to carry the map like an orienteer
(folded in the left hand along the direction of travel, oriented with
the thumb compass), form general ideas of where the controls are and
keep moving. More than anything be able to predict how quickly you can
cover the terrain, and practice thinking while under physical
exertion.

Sam N4MAP