[ARDF] Protractors

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 19:05:15 CDT 2004

Ken,

    I do something different from most Americans.  I've been trying to
figure out what other countries do, because I figure they probably use
something that works.

    With that in mind, I'd place a lot of credibility on Tcherman's method.

    But, I what I do makes sense to me (as an orienteer first).

Basically,

I face the signal.

I align my map to north.

Then I put my china marker where I am on the map and draw straight up,
toward the signal.

If I intend to travel in that direction, or for future reference, I'll
align my compass bezel and the compass needle.

That's it.

    I just bought a compass with a reversed rosette, and I've been
trying to figure out how I'm going to navigate.  The reversed rosette
requires the compass capsule to be aligned along the direction of
travel (toward the signal).  And that means you can't set it to a
bearing.  If you want to run that bearing, you have to remember the
number and fuss with keeping the needle pointed to a little number,
rather than the lines on the bottom of the capsule, which are much
larger and easier to see.

    I've been looking at the photos from the Czech Republic, and I
notice most people seem to use a map (folded) and a thumb compass in
their left hand and a radio in their right.  One reverse-rosette
compass I saw was epoxied in the bottom slot to keep it aligned for
taking bearings, meaning you could not set it to run a bearing.

    One thought I've had is that you run the bearing by lining up the
drawn line and the compass direction of travel line, then running in
the the normal manner for a thumb compass (by turning your body until
the needle lines up with north on the map).  Again, I prefer the
crutch of setting the bezel, but this is a complicated sport, and you
have to do what makes the most sense.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati, Ohio USA