[ARDF] [Adam's RadiO Diary]Day 7 – Zobakpuszta - Reflection City

Adam Scammell a.scammell at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 30 14:03:04 CDT 2004

fyi: latest photo's just uploaded - http://www.ardf.org.au/wc/adam.htm

Day 7 – Zobakpuszta Reflection city

This mornings 2M ARDF was held on a new map, (the guys that arrived
early trained on 80M using it). I took good bearings for all
transmitters on their first cycles. I then thought I’d put some
training to use by finding Tx 3 on it’s second cycle. I ran quite hard
to get to where I thought it was. I then spent 40 minutes chasing quite
convincing reflections in an area about 300M by 100M in size. I
eventually gave up and decided to continue on my course. On it’s next
cycle some 1km from where I was searching I received it straight ahead
of me. I continued on uphill and found it just after it’s next
transmission (64 minutes after starting).  I continued further North
finding Tx 2 in good time, I continued further north on a quest for Tx
1. I was very surprised at the distance to this control. I had
initially thought it would be about 500M, I found it to be about 1.5Km
away some 20 minutes later. I then headed South down the map not to
sure of my remaining control order. I ran into Bob on the track and he
was able to help me make up my mind. It turns out that my anticipated
location of Tx 5 was less 500M from it’s actual location. My Tx4
bearing’s however were very wrong. From Tx 5 I was able to get a good
bearing for Tx 4, then on route another bearing confirmed it’s
location. I finished in 146and a half minutes just 2 and a half minutes
inside the time limit. My course today was 11km in length. Vadim (usa)
again finished in the best M21 time of about 90 minutes. Bruce ran off
the map and had similar reflection problems in a nearby village
returning in 90 minutes with no transmitters. Bryan finished with a
full compliment of transmitters taking only few minutes longer than I
did.

In the afternoon we had an 80M Fox-Or-Ing event on a new map called
Vizfo Zsido-hegy. The area we ran on was only 3-4 Km from our
accommodations, however the trip took about 10 minutes as the road went
the long way around. The van was empty for the trip as Vadim, Bob and
Marvin were all resting. The course was about 1.8Km in length. I
started first and finished first, although Gyuri walking had a fair bit
to do with my win. I was able to see several of the controls before I
could hear them on the receiver. Many were well hidden in the deep
re-entrants to make the last few meters tricky. Soon after finishing we
saw a small 4x4 who Gyuri later said was the ranger. Many of the tracks
in this area have gates that are locked with a large bolt, a key with
an offset nodule is used to open them. We passed though one of these
gates on arriving, and I unlocked and re-locked it. When we were
exiting Harley found that the lock was very tight. I had a go and
confirmed this. We surmised that the ranger had over tightened it on
exiting. Gyuri had a toolbox in his car with many useful tools, we soon
found that his hammer did a good job of convincing the lock to open.

Our travel details have been discussed over the past few days, I think
we’ve decided on them now. Bob, Marvin, Bruce Bryan and I will travel
to Budapest on the 2nd of September, where we will stay 3 nights. We
will travel to Prague in the Czech Republic on the 5th of September and
stay for one night. On the 6th we will travel to Brno and spend one
night in the town before moving to the competition venue in Brno. After
the competition finishes on the 12th we will travel with Dale Hunt
(usa) to Vienna in Austria where we will spend one night before flying
out and finaly arriving home on the 14th. (I’m home for 10 days before
traveling to NSW for the Aust. Champs Orienteering Carnival with the
Vic. schools team as assistant coach (and M21AS competitor)
Adam