[ARDF] Host Club sought for 2005 USA ARDF champs

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Aug 20 17:17:44 CDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Matthew Robbins wrote:

> This is just a few disjointed ideas, quickly thrown together.
>
> I went to last year's R2 Champs website, and got the list of
> competitors.  Pasted it into Excel, then sorted by State.  I added Bob
> and Dick, and changed the names of the states to more accurately
> reflect geographic positions. So "Kentucky" became Cincinnati, and
> Ohio was split between Cincy and Cleveland.  I added at least one
> competitor I'm aware of, and I tried to split California into Northern
> and Southern (by guessing who lived where).  I then sorted by "state"
> and got this:

[Snippage]

> Deleting the states that haven't hosted a big event (and Hungary) gives:
> (oh, I left Oregon in, too.)
>
> Alabama
> Cleveland
> Colorado
> Illinois
> Indiana
> Indiana
> Indiana
> Indiana
> Indiana
> Massachusetts
> Montana
> Montana
> NoCal
> North Carolina
> North Carolina
> North Carolina
> Oregon
> Oregon
> Texas
> Texas
> Virginia
>

> Of this list, every duplication is a family (I think) except Indiana.

Indiana is, IMHO, really part of the Cincinnati/Kentucky locale.  In fact
the 80 meter event venue of the 2003 event was in Indiana.

> Unless a club has a lot of money to have a map made, I think it's
> reasonable to assume a map needs to be already available.  (Updates,
> if needed, are usually much cheaper than a new map.)  So the next step
> should be to look at a list of Orienteering Clubs and try to match
> that list up with a group of people interested in ARDF.

Agreed.  There is often a common interest.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/