[ARDF] Team USA Training

mayeva2275 at aol.com mayeva2275 at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 22:41:44 CDT 2003

Hi everybody!

I would like to give my thoughts and suggestions, based on my experience in
six World Championships and three European Championship ARDF events. My
comments are for all who intend to not only participate, but to compete in the World
Championships next year.

We have a whole year to get ready and be a strong team to represent USA and
compete with all the European and Asian competitors. It is not difficult at all
to beat them! Those of you who participated last year could analyze the
results and conclude that it is not all that difficult to finish a course with a
good time. Most of ours mistakes could be easily avoided. To avoid them in the
future we need to start working right now. I would advise you to take the
championships more seriously, unless you want to spend money to go to the Czech
Republic just as a tourist.

1) I agree with Sam Smith that we have to start practicing our physical
conditioning today (it would be better yesterday!).  It is a good idea to check
with your doctor before starting a new exercise regime. You should start slowly
and work up to longer distances and faster pace. Don't wait until two months
before the Championships to start exercising. Remember those Czech hills are
deadly! You should work up to running at least every other day, morning or
evening. It is good for your health as well. You should start your sessions with at
least a 30-minute run without stopping, and gradually come close to 80-100
minutes (the average time you will need to spend on the course). Choose your
running speed so that it is comfortable for you. Optimum speed is different for
each person. You should include some hills (Czech size) in your running within
2-3 months after starting your program (this is required). The goal is to run
without stopping for the entire course, and keep thinking clearly.

2) I agree with Sam again about lack of orienteering ability.

In the 1984 World Championships in Oslo, Norway, my coach (who was 47 years
old at the time, and pretty heavy; he liked to eat very much) won the M40
division to everybody's surprise, including our team. And he won because he used
his map very wisely. He said that if he had taken two more hills he would have
never finished.  He had, in fact, avoided almost all the hills. He wasn't a
very speedy man, but he ran the entire course, and used his map, and in the end
he had won a gold medal! I remembered his experience last year after nearly
expiring on the D35 2-meter course. In the 80-meter competition I followed his
example and avoided as many hills as possible, and the result wasn't too bad
compared to my 2-meter results, especially considering that I was in very bad
physical shape.

I suggest that everyone contact a local orienteering club and take part in
their events. In my region of North Carolina, for example, there is at least one
event each month. If nothing else, just get a map and go running in the
woods. Individual study with a map and compass will help considerably.

3) It would be very useful to have at least a one-week training session prior
to the USA Championships (or World Championships) next year. Even if somebody
could come only for two or three days it would be a good idea. It might be
better to stay close to the practice area in order to not waste time getting to
and from the practices. To make the training more effective I suggest doing
one full ARDF course, followed by discussions of course strategy, mistakes and
optimal time. For the afternoon I would suggest doing a close searching
"One-Cycle" course. On a one-cycle course the transmitters are spaced an appropriate
distance for the participants to find one control on each cycle. The idea is
to listen to the transmitter, and then on the next cycle you must find it. The
Russian team used to his this type of practice during their training camps.
The one-cycle practice helps the participants get a feel for the sound of a
transmitter that is within a five-minute run. Most hunters lose a lot of time
searching within a short distance of the transmitters (100-200 meters).

4) Regarding team selection, I agree with Bob Frey. It has to be done after
the next USA or Region II Championships. I think the best time for the USA
Championships is May or June, when there will still be 2 or 3 months for
practicing before the World Championships.

5) I would advise participants to attach their accessories (map holder,
pencil, compass, watch) in secure and convenient positions, and making sure they
can be reached quickly. Do this before coming to the practices or USA
Championships. It is very important for your successful running as well.

I know this letter was a little bit long, but I think it is important for our
future success.
If somebody has questions, I will be very happy to reply. You can e-mail me
at mayeva2275 at aol.com

Thank you,
Nadia Mayeva.