[ardf] Fox box batteries

Kuon & Dale Hunt kuon at onlinemac.com
Mon Aug 18 00:01:16 CDT 2003

>I'm trying to cut the cost of my fox boxes, and I was trying to figure out
>ways to scrounge 5-to-7 Amp-Hour Lead Acid Gel Cells.

    A lot of cells get traded out regularly for preventive
    maintenance from alarm systems, etc.  You might check with
    an alarm service company or someone who does maintenance
    in a large office building, etc..

    I find them at the local industrial surplus store: they
    carry electronic parts, but also rubber gloves, auto
    floor mats, hardware, furniture, manikins, plastic bottles,
    discontinued toys and paint, etc.  Take along a pocket
    voltmeter or a lightbulb to test them.  I've gotten a lot
    of long skinny cells around 2Ah that were designed for
    camcorders - often new in the box and/or shrinkwrap.
    (Probably for discontinued models.)  But they may have
    other sizes as well.

    For new and used cells, check B.G. Micro (www.bgmicro.com).
    They usually have some new and used gel cells in their catalog.
    Just watch out for shipping charges - the 7Ah cells are about
    6 pounds apiece.

    Of the standard commercial vendors, you can find something
    at Mouser in the $12 - $18 range, while Digi-Key will be
    $20 or over for 7Ah batteries.  (In some cases it may be
    cheaper to get a pair of 6V batteries.)  Be sure to check
    the freight charges also - Digi-Key ships from Minnesota
    which could be a savings.

    If you can't find a good deal on the gel cells, consider
    using a set of C or D batteries in the meantime.  Look for
    the packages of 8 or more cells for the best price.
    (I often see them at Home Depot, etc.)  Alkaline C cells
    run around 7 to 8 Ah, D cells about twice that and they
    usually are the same price.  I would expect a set of
    D cells to run a transmitter around 20 to 40 hours
    continuously, depending on the power output.  With
    5 transmitters alternating, you can practice for two
    to four hours every weekend and only change batteries
    once a year.  With a good hot soldering iron and some
    flux I've successfully soldered wires directly to the
    cells, which is probably better for a battery pack
    than putting them in spring holders.  By the time those
    wear out, you can find some rechargables at Dayton.

---