[ARDF] 2003 US ARDF Championships - Thoughts, Improvements, Etc. (long)

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Sat Aug 16 22:32:07 CDT 2003

I am really curious where everyone had their problems on both the 2M and
80M courses. There is a good possibility of a training camp before the
next US ARDF Championships, and I would *really* like to know what to
emphasize on the training. It would really be wonderful if we could
become a force to be reckoned with at the World ARDF Championships!!!

Comments? Needless to say, the training venue(s) would not be at the
Championship site. Since this will be in So. California with quite a few
places of entertainment (Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios,
San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Knott's Berry Farm, etc.), how many people are
interested in a day(s) off to sight see?

For myself, my primary problem is physical as I have trouble
continuously running long distances (5 Km or so.) My understanding is
this is something that needs to be worked on year long, and especially
now in preparation for next year. I have heard from both Tcherman and
Nadia that 10 minutes per Km is a respectable time including up and down
hills ... or mountains depending on your physical shape :). Gyuri gave
me an article several years ago about a world class training program; it
is posted at http://www.sbarc.org/sigs/t-hunting/ardftrain.html.

Okay, I am *imagining* myself running the course :).

The next area I have trouble with is getting good bearings and
transferring them to the map (both 2M and 80M.) One thing I've noticed
is the compass bearings being affected by the DF receivers. Taking good
bearings cost me a *LOT* of time on both the 2M and 80M courses.

I've noticed quite a variety of map boards; perhaps we need a discussion
on what works and why. I've seen map board fastened to arms, equipment,
and being held. Taping the marking crayon to the earpiece cord seems
like a good thing. Some people tape it to their finger; what are the
benefits/downsides of these and other methods of holding the map board
and marking crayon?

Tcherman mentioned an exercise his team used to do that might prove
useful. Take a piece of paper and draw about 11 or 12 random bearings
(22, 67, 33, 187, 327, etc.), measure them, and throw out the worst
bearing. He was typically within a couple of degrees. My guess is this
takes *lots* of practice, but it is something that can be done at home.

Taking bearings without knowing where you are makes the bearings
somewhat less useful :). I would highly recommend everyone doing as much
orienteering as possible. My goal is to know where I am at all times
within about 50 meters. At the 1998 World ARDF Championships, I had no
clue what orienteering was all about, and it took me to the end of the
starting corridor road to get "lost" to the point the map was useless
for the rest of the course. This time, the 2M course near #5 gave me
enough problems that I only knew approximately where I was (probably
within about 300 meters or so.) Once I came towards #4, I knew where I
was within my 50 meters for the rest of the course (back to imagining I
was running :).)