[WVARC] WA6LXN record

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x at kr6x.com
Sat Oct 24 16:15:19 PDT 2009

The endurance of that record is all the more remarkable when you realize
that while
modern amateur radio transceivers generally have 160M capability, in those
days
most HF hams used equipment that lacked coverage of that band.  Also, LORAN
was still in use and remained the only available radionavigation aide for
general use
at sea.  The 160 M band was covered by the growl of LORAN, and the
regulatory
mechanisms that protected LORAN put a big bite on the ham activity there.  I
was
slightly active in that contest myself, using borrowed gear, and can attest
to the
effectiveness of Tree and Marty's signal.

I don't recall what Bob was using for amplifiers during my last visit to his
shack, but
I do remember that many years ago he had a pair of the autotune Alpha's, I
guess
that's Alpha 89's?