[WVARC] FCC Proposals

Joseph M. Wade wadejoe at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 15:05:15 CDT 2003

Dear League Leaders,

As you know, there are currently six proposals on changing licensing rules
and license privileges up before the FCC for approval.  As a member of the
ARRL, I depend on my organization to be the voice for all of us members.
The greatest benefit of League membership is knowing that you will weigh in
on issues of importance to Amateur Radio.  After all, the voice of tens of
thousands of members, in unity, is very loud.  And certainly will get the
attention of the FCC and others, while my pipsqueak opinion is drowned out
and not considered.

I am asking all of you to take a stand on these issues.  I am depending on
you to determine the will of the membership and be our voice.

By not taking a stand you lead me and others to believe that you are willing
to let the changes take place as proposed.  That is fine if that is the will
of the membership.  I am very much opposed to reducing or eliminating the
code requirement except at the entry level.  But if the majority of the
membership does not agree with me, I can accept that and move on.

I am ashamed that the ARRL sat like a wooden dummy and let the national VEC
organizations submit a proposal to the FCC for elimination of the code
requirement.  You could have at least delayed if you weren’t sure how your
membership felt.  And if you don’t know how we feel about this issue, why
don’t you know.  It has been a hot issue for over a decade.  Your abstention
looks like an approval to the FCC.

At WRC-2003 the elimination of the CW requirement for licensing was reported
in offhand remarks with no discussion of any debate or discussion.  By your
lack of reporting on the matter, you lead many of us to believe that the
ARRL representatives just flat out gave in on this matter.  Or that you gave
in on the code issue to gain what you hail as great benefits to 40 meters.
Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe the majority of the membership is
against eliminating the code requirements.

I could write a 500 page letter telling you how much I love all the things
that ARRL has done.  After all, I have been a member since 1967.  But at
this time we have six proposals, and maybe more to come that touch the nerve
of almost all members.  I ask you not play dead on these issues.

Sincerely,

Joe Wade – W6YR
Yorba Linda, CA