[WVARC] Big Award

John Musselman WB6UHF wb6uhf at arrl.net
Fri Apr 25 17:55:38 CDT 2003

Way to go, Tree...

>From the ARRL Letter...

==>HAMVENTION ANNOUNCES 2003 AWARD WINNERS

Hamvention has named the winners of its 2003 Amateur of the Year, Special
Achievement and Technical Excellence awards. Well-known contester Larry
"Tree" Tyree, N6TR, will receive Hamvention's 2003 Amateur of the Year
Award. Tyree is the creator, organizer, and promoter of the successful
Kid's Day <http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/kd-rules.html>--now administered
by the ARRL. Kid's Day is an operating activity designed to give young
people a chance to experience Amateur Radio firsthand and possibly inspire
them to become licensees. Tyree also developed the popular TR-LOG contest
logging software. A ham since 1967, Tyree lives in Boring, Oregon, with
his wife and three daughters.

"I hope to be able to use this to help encourage others to encourage young
people to join our hobby," Tyree commented. "Obviously the help the ARRL
has given me by taking over the event has been part of the success that
enabled this [award]." The award to Tyree is in line with Hamvention's
2003 theme, "Year of the Youth." The show, May 16-18 at Hara Arena near
Dayton, Ohio, will be on young hams and on attracting 12 to 18-year olds
into Amateur Radio.