[WVARC] Field Day 1971

Tree tree@kkn.net
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 07:51:13 -0700

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 09:44:03PM -0700, Leigh S. Jones wrote:

> That sounds right by my memory... in 68 we did 5A with the wooden
> portable quads, 69, 70, and 71 we took #1 in 4A from the Valley
> rim and from Contractors.  Then as we began to see lower sunspot
> numbers and 15 meters became less of a factor in the summer
> months it became more difficult to rack up points.  We did FD from
> some other locations -- Mt Gleason above Pasadena, I believe, and
> Mt. Pacifico after K6BAG operations abandoned the site.  I was
> part of a 2A from Mt Gleason after most of the old 4A guys left the
> area.

You are probably thinking of Mt. Lukens (instead of Gleason) - which
I think we went to twice in the later years.  That was where my
Triumph Spitfire lost its muffler on the way up and Marty came
up later asking if this was anyone's muffler.  Lots of repeaters up
there.  It is also the one Thad "buzzed" once with 44Lima.

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/wvarc/MtLukens.jpg

I know I have some pictures somewhere of one of the CP field days.
I'll start digging.

Tree

PS: Does anyone know if the old A frame building is still there?