[WVARC] KI6T

Tree tree@kkn.net
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:34:14 -0700

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:02:27AM -0700, Joseph M. Wade wrote:

> Of course, it is Gary Stillwell.  What I remember about him most is, aside
> from being a super big dx-er and contester, was that when they started
> 5BDXCC he made a supreme effort to be the first to make it.  As I recall, he
> came in #2 or #3.  But considering that we have such a disadvantage being on
> the West Coast even that was pretty amazing.

Yup.  If you look up K6BAG, you find that KI6T is the trustee.

Gary was about 1.5 miles from my QTH and would blow my poor S-120 off the
table when he transmitted.  He let me use his station for a CD party, but
the thrill of having my dad's car all weekend was too much for me to stay
in the chair all weekend.

I am sure Mike remembers that car - and how quickly we could get from his
house up to Kevin's at the end of Burbank Blvd.

Gary gave a talk at some club meeting I was at (I think it might have been
WVARC?) about how much fun he was having on 160 meters.  It was the first
time I heard that you could work DX on that band.  I now have 180 countries
there now - so I guess it had an impact.

The W6NJU QTH was later sold to Larry Brockman, WA6EPQ, now N6AR.  Larry
was co-editor of the CQ WW contest results with K3EST until about 10 years
ago.  He lives in Florida now.

Here is another name from the past - Skip Swenson - WB6VVA.  He used to live
over by Platt and Vanowen and had a nice station.  I want to say a
GSB-something or other and a KW.

Anyone remember the time we put the chairs in a circle and handed out SS
log sheets to everyone?  I know we made a tape of it, but I don't think
I have it any more.  I remember being W0IYP and I couldn't talk the next
day.

Tree