[WVARC] Field Days

Tree tree@kkn.net
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:57:24 -0700

> > Now I remember.  It was 1967.  In 1966 Leigh
> > and I and a great group of other guys went to
> > Sierra Palona for Field Day.  Remember that Leigh?
> >

> Yeah, I wasn't licensed on Field Day 1966.
>
> But help me remember:
>
> 1967 - above Valley Center Blvd on some new house lots
> 1968 - new house lots south of Ventura / Taft High
> 1969 - Rancho San Julian / Santa Barbara Co.
> 1970 - Contractors Point

This would be a great list to finish up with.

I remember either 75 or 76 (I think) - or both, that we were up on
that peak above Foothill Blvd - out towards east of San Fernando...

the one where my Spitfire started sounding really loud on the way
up and Marty came up the road later asking if this was anyone's
muffler.  Was that the one that UHF was the mystery guest?

I also remember the one (and so far only) ride in a small airplane
with WB6UJY at the helm - an surprised at how heavy my HT200 HT
would get during a 1G climb.

There were 3 or 4 CP field days - with one or two out at that place
the Pacifico group went to (was it Mt. Pacifico?) - sort of on the
north side of the mountains out by Mt. Baldy or something like that.

I guess around the late 70's the N6NB SCCC field days started taking
over.

My very first field day was at the house of W6MN - with WB6TQS.  We
setup a generator out back.  I didn't do a lot of operating, but did
some...  and I guess it qualifies as my first contest.  That was
either '68 or '69...  I guess when you talk about things that happened
over 30 years ago - getting it within one year is about the best I
can do right now...

W6MN was net manager for SCN for awhile.  He is living in Reno and I
have exchanged e-mail occasionally recently.

And of course, WB6TQS is on this list.  The tower on top of Frank's
house would eventually be moved to my parent's house in Canoga Park
with the two element quad.  The tower was put up on February 1, 1971.
For some reason, that is an easy date to remember.  Two days later,
I was up at 6:03 AM - waiting for the tower to fall through the roof.
It didn't.  I am sure Leigh remembers that morning well.  I think he
woke up with a bunch of QSTs on his head.

Tree (the ham formerly known as WB6ZVC - not WA6ZVC)