[WVARC] Field Day

kabeals@pacbell.net kabeals@pacbell.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:46:27 -0700

Speaking of Clint:  I talked with him a few years ago.  He is still in Utah,
works for a satellite company of some nature.  He has a bunch of kids who
are all doing Mormon missionary stuff.  No radio things though.

I saw Bill Guimont once after he moved to Arizona.  He had a great place out
there, but this was sometime around 1980.  I don't even know if he's still
alive.

Leigh (or anyone?):  Though not technically a WVARC member, anyone know
about Ted Gillett (W6HX)?  I saw that he moved somewhere out east (Apple
Valley?) but don't know anything else.

Ken WK6F

-----Original Message-----
From: wvarc-admin@kkn.net [mailto:wvarc-admin@kkn.net]On Behalf Of Tree
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 9:37 PM
To: wvarc@kkn.net
Subject: [WVARC] Field Day

One of the neatest field days up at CP was when the whole San
Fernando Valley was fogged in - and it just looked like a carpet
that you could go out and walk on.  That was cool.

Of course - I will never forget driving up there and seeing
those 40 meter beams that Magnet and Clint put up.  Wow.

For awhile, when working in Woodland Hills on Oxnard Street, I
had a window office that I could stare out and see CP.

W7NI, who lives up here, lived in Canoga Park for awhile - and
had dealings with W6GP (Bill Guimont).  I guess Stan sold him one
of the poles - or something like that.  Stan had to climb
one of the poles to get his rotator or something off of it.

Stan I think had the call WB6ENX - and some of you guys probably
worked him.  I think he moved back up north just before I got
my license (December 1967).

My first ever ham radio QSO was at the WB6SST/WB6UHF station (it
was before it was the WA6CSN station too), and I said hello to
Matt on SSB.  This was before the Swan 350 was moved into the
garage.

My very first QSO with my call was in the garage - on 15 meters,
using the Ranger 1 and the 350 as a receiver.

John later loaned me a 1 watt XTAL controlled rig - that I could
use to work Matt and John to play chess games over the air.

Can't wait to see scans of some of the old bulletins.  I don't think
I have any anymore.

Tree N6TR / WB6ZVC
Victory through Mug