[TexasARDF] July mini ARDF meet in New mexico

Gerald Boyd wb8wfk at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 15 17:13:07 PDT 2009

Just in case any of the Texes ARDF members find there way in the Albuquerque
area on July 25th.

We would welcome any visitors from our neighboring state at our next ARDF/
Orienteering meet. The O meet meet area is ~7500 feet. The O meet Map is
1:10000 IOF standard, Mapping was done by Tatyana Svistun. The mini ARDF map
may be printed 1:5000 scale.

Message that I sent out to the ABQ t-hunters and ARDF list and NMO O club
list a few days ago regarding our next meet ( some updates added).

*****************
Dear ARDF Runners, and Orienteer's.

For ARDF Runners: ( Orienteer's please read message below ARDF message)

How many Albuquerque ARDF'ers would like to run an 80 meter Micro Fox mini
ARDF course on July 25th at Doc Long?

This is the same date as the NMO orienteering meet at Doc Long.

Please let me know if you can attend and what category you would like to run
in (M21, M40,M50 etc).

Tonight I am designing the course in FJWW MAP to import into the FJWW score
keeping software.

There will be a short walk to the ARDF start point from the orienteering
meet start finish area. The ARDF start point is in the woods located on a
map feature.

Maps will be pre-printed and will show start - finish area with exclusion
circle for start and finish.

If you have purchased an E-stick please send me your E-stick number and
category and I will enter into FJWW.

Have a very small supply ( 2 each) of E-sticks for the radio O team if you
don't have one. First come.

I can send info on where to get an E-stick ~$35 from an orienteering
supplier back east.

Current course length (best path as the bird goes) reported by FJWW, subject
to slight change as I work things out, but is in the ballpark +/- 200 meters
for expected course distance.

This is a WB8WFK 80 meter micro Fox transmitter course. The transmitter has
.045 watt output on 80 meters ~ 1.5 mile range and runs on 9 Volt battery
all day.

Standard NMO meet fees apply  (unless you help with setting up an O course,
removing O controls or help run the O-Meet registration table).

You will need to sign the NMO standard meet waver.

Mini ARDF Optimum course distance reported by FJWW , hunt in any order:
Women (ARDF) IRAU rules; all must punch the GO control
W19 2614 Meters Skip control 2
W21 2216 Meters Skip control 4
W35 2584 Meters  Skip control 1
W50 1946 Meters Skip control 1 and 4
W60 1946 Meters Skip control 1,4 and 5

MEN (ARDF) IRAU rules; all must punch the GO control
M19 2839 Meters Skip control 3
M21 2864 Meters find all 5 controls
M40 2743 Meters Skip control 5
M50 2614 Meters Skip Control 2
M60 1946 Meters Skip control 1 and 5
M70 1561 Meters Skip control 1,4and 5

There will be a homing beacon on the course at GO( see below).

            For Orienteer's:

Any Orienteer's that owns an E-stick and would like to practice using your
Estick can run this course ( 5 controls + GO ) as a mini score-O event
(green+ level) using a map with pre-printed control locations and clue card.
All ARDF controls will be on map features.

To run the course (advance registration required)  I would need your name
and E-stick number 1 week in advance of the July 25th meet to enter into the
SPORT IDENT FJWW score keeping software.

You would need to find all 5 controls in any hunt order (score-O). The Sport
Ident system will report you as M21 category regardless of age etc. Normal
NMO meet fees and waver apply.

Note I don't have a field printer so there will not be an instant print-out.
The computer will display your run time at download time and will generate
post meet weppage formatted results. Results will be posted on the NMO
website http://www.nm-orienteers.org/ .

If we have any Orienteer's on this course there will be a to-be announced
mass start time ( will announce in advance of the meet) for Orienteer's to
ensure that the ARDF runners don't see the map with control locations marked
on it. The ARDF runners only have the start and finish marked on there map
and cannot see the map with the controls marked on it.

We will have the normal NMO O courses at this meet (White, yellow, Orange
,Green and Red, pin punches only). Just wanted to provide this additional
opportunity for you to practice if you have an e-stick.

For your reference the ARDF controls will have 3 letters as markings they
are:
Control 1 is marked MOE
Control 2 is marked MOI
Control 3 is marked MOS
Control 4 is marked MOH
Control 5 is marked MO5

The NMO GO control will be used and will have a SI station located at it,
there will be a taped route from GO to finish.

Additional Radio O info

For the radio O people there will be an active homing beacon located at the
NMO GO control and GO will be marked on your map. then follow taped route to
finish. There will also be an SI station at the finish.

Jerry Boyd WB8WFK Meet director, President new Mexico Orienteer's
http://www.nm-orienteers.org/