[TexasARDF] [ARDF] Bastrop hotel group rates

Paul Gruettner wb9odq at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 06:25:00 PST 2008

Jennifer,
  Thank you for setting this up.  I called the Comfort Inn this morning and made reservations for my wife and I. We'll see you in May.
  73s,
  Paul Gruettner / WB9ODQ

Jennifer Harker <harkerjen at yahoo.com> wrote:
  My apologies for taking this long to do this, but the holidays got in the way...

A reminder that the 2008 US ARDF Championships are being held May 8-10 in beautiful Bastrop, TX.

The hotel we recommend for everyone is the Comfort Inn Bastrop. It's located in the retail district of Bastrop just off Highway 71, and is easy walking distance to Walgreens, Radio Shack, Super Walmart, and most restaurants. The local supermarket chain, HEB, is just under the highway overpass. The park is a couple miles away, so you will still want a car to get around.

http://www.comfortinn.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=TX370
Comfort Inn Bastrop
106 Hasler Blvd, Bastrop, TX 78602
512-321-3303

I've reserved a group rate of $71.99/night for *non-smoking* rooms with either 2 queens or 1 king bed for the dates of May 8 - May 11. (I know, it's not much of a discount from the AAA/AARP/internet rate.) There are 8 reserved of each. You must call the hotel directly to get the group rate. Either request the group name ARDF, or use the following confirmation numbers for the room type you'd like:
2 queens #187389
1 king #187397

If you run into problems, let me or Ken know (512-401-2543) and we'll try to help out. These rates are good until April 8 or until the 16 rooms are taken, whichever comes first.

Other places to stay in Bastrop include the Holiday Inn Express right next door to the Comfort Inn (for $110 a night - what's up with that?), and two very tired-looking older motels on the eastern side of town - the Days Inn and the Super 8, for only slightly less than the Comfort Inn. For those on an extremely tight budget, Buescher State Park (about 10 miles down the road) should have campsites available, and since we shouldn't need it for competition, we're lifting the embargo on their campground. The LCRA also has camping on the south shore of Lake Bastrop.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/buescher/
http://www.lcra.org/parks/developed_parks/southshore.html

If you plan to camp, make reservations early. Campgrounds fill up months in advance. Also, Bastrop State Park is still embargoed, even the campgrounds and cabins.

If money is no object, there is also the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort. :-)

If you plan to arrive a day or two early, or depart a day or two late, I suggest spending the additional nights in Austin, where you'll find a much larger selection of restaurants, hotels, shopping, nightlife, and places to visit. Ken and I have lots of recommendations for sightseeing, if you have the time!

---Jen