[TexasARDF] [ARDF] GPS devices

Dick Arnett darnett at stelizabeth.com
Sat Feb 23 15:05:01 PST 2008

I am in 100 percent agreement with Bob.  We have allowed them at the last three USA ARDF competitions for those that want to use them, why change now.  If someone feels more secure having one I would rather let them take it than organize a search party after the competition.  They will not make any difference in the standings.  If you need to use it then you are not competitive.
>>> "Bob Cooley" <rccooley at comcast.net> 02/23/08 2:08 PM >>>
There are probably about 15 to 20 people in my local O club (BAOC)
that use the Garmin Forerunner 205 or 305  for route recording.
Playing back these recorded routes after the meet is very useful for
determining what you did right or wrong.  These watches can
also do some navigation functions, but no one here has found
any of those functions to be of any use during O competetion.

The navigation functions might be of help to a totally lost
beginner who was trying to get out of the forest alive,
but I don't see how they could be of any use to a
reasonably competent competitor.

Also, since Team USA is still very much in learning
mode, and the route playbacks are very educational,
we should allow use of the 305, even if someone
speculates that there might be some way to gain
advantage during competition.

Bob Cooley

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and may contain
confidential and privileged information protected by state and
federal medical privacy statutes.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail
(attaching the original message) and destroy all copies of the
original message (including on your own computer and on any network
to which your computer is connected).