[TexasARDF] New Member

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Wed Apr 26 11:14:48 PDT 2006

Welcome!

We should put together another on-foot, in-the-woods foxhunt.

When we did the Texas ARDF Championship back in October, we had some
significant timing issues with the five transmit controllers.  It turns out
that the ceramic resonators were not very frequency or temperature stable,
so they drifted a lot.  We had some transmitters that were keying almost
exactly on top of one another by the end of the day.  I've since replaced
the 3.800000 MHz resonators with 3.579545 MHz crystals, which are a lot more
stable.  Now, the controllers drift maybe five seconds relative to each other
over a ten hour run.  The problem is, though, that with the frequency change
from 3.800000 MHz to 3.579545 MHz, they all gradually lose time.  Nobody
makes a 3.800000 MHz crystal, and I don't have access to the PIC code to
change its timing loop.  But, I think we could use them for another hunt
if we wanted.  Jen is going to build me a set of Montreal Fox Controllers
that should have better timing characteristics.

One of the things they did at the USA ARDF champs a couple of weekends ago
inadvertently changed the timings on their controllers, so we were hunting
on "72.3-second minutes".  But the transmitters were stable relative to one
another.

If we want to do another two meter event, maybe sooner would be better than
later, or it will become too hot outside...