[Ncdxf-bod-sub] Navassa Island DXpedtion revised budget and letter of explanation...

W6OTC w6otc at garlic.com
Mon Nov 17 06:05:13 PST 2014

To:  NCDXF sub-group of the BOD to consider the Navassa application:

Review:  my prior messages were sent on Oct. 31 and Nov. 3.  After that, UEE
and GJ had new communications from FWS (see the attached letter sent by
UEE/GJ to team members this weekend) and went to Santo Domingo, D.R. to
negotiate with the helicopter supplier.  For reasons explained in the letter
to team members, the expense side of the budget has increased by $70k
(higher transportation costs attributable primarily to FWS developments) and
the income side has increased by $48k with the ops now contributing
$10.5k/ea instead of $7.5k/ea.  The revised budget is also attached.  The
request from us remains the same at $45k.

As I said in my Oct. 31 message, I am concerned about pushing op
contributions for any DXpedition too hard.  I think $10.5k/ea is reasonable
here; $7.5k was a bit light IMHO.   Having said that, it is the team's
decision to use a helo for their own transportation (but it is FWS's
decision to require a helo for their transportation).  Without the helo this
trip would be fairly inexpensive.

On balance, I still recommend a grant in the area of $40k (down from 5x/op
to a little less that 4x/op).  This would leave them about $23k short on
their budgeted costs but I continue to think OQRS income is probably
understated.

If you have comments or questions, please send them to this subgroup now.

73,

Glenn, W6OTC