[FQP] 2018 FQP summary for KØRC in MN

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Mon Apr 30 13:00:33 PDT 2018

FQPers. . .

During the 2018 FQP I logged 445 QSOs (one TN station sneaked in there)
and I will try to claim a 67 county CW sweep again this year. The last
county was logged on Sunday with an hour or so to go. Okaloosa is near
the tip of the panhandle and I believe NO5W/m activates those counties
as he exits the state and heads home. Some fellows pull off a sweep the
first day but I have always come up short by a half-dozen or so. I
needed seven counties as the activity closed on Saturday evening (FRA,
GUL, HAM, LIB, OKA, SEM, WAL).

There was no propagation on 10m and I only found K4W and N4CC on 15m.
Other than those two QSOs, 10m & 15m were not open into my area. But 20m
was a different story. I believe the distance between MN<>FL must be a
perfect skip distance because when the band is open, signals boom into
my receiver. That would be the case again this weekend. . . well not
'always' booming, but certainly Q5 when stations are active on the band.
(Exception coming up. . .)

This weekend it was mostly a 20m contest for me. At some point on
Saturday afternoon the FL mobiles abandoned 20m and headed down to 40m.
I could hear stations working the mobiles but I could not pull a single
QSO off when they first moved. Toward Saturday evening 40m picked up and
I put about three dozen QSOs in the log during the last hour (8 ~ 9 pm
local). On Sunday 40m was a little better and it allowed me to put
another 30+ QSOs in the log.

Here's the N1MM+ score tally:

  Band   Mode QSOs     Pts  Mul  Pt/Q
      7  CW      69     272    2   3.9
      7  LSB      5      10    5   2.0
     14  CW     294    1172   64   4.0
     14  USB     74     148   43   2.0
     21  CW       2       8    0   4.0
  Total  Both   444    1610  114   3.6
Score: 183,540
1 Mult = 3.9 Q's

Here's some log stats from the FQP Log Analyzer:

Top 10 counties worked:
BRE=22,
MAD=14,
ALC=13,
CIT=11,
ORA=11,
IDR=10,
SAR=10,
SUM=10,
BRO=9,
DIX=9

Mobile QSOs:
K4KG=60, (Savage Ops!)
K4OJ=32,
N4TO=29,
NO5W=29,
K1XX=27,
N4FP=27,
AD4ES=23,
K8MR=23,
N4CW=23,
KN4Y=16,
KU8E=12,
KC4HW=9.

I don't have a current FCG member list but comparing my QSOs to the 2015
list of 330 calls in the Log Analyzer, I worked 26 members who provided
216 QSOs toward my score. The number count would probably be higher if
my list was current and the 1x1 calls were included as well.

N1MM+ tells me I operated 17:15 hours out of the 20 available. If I did
my math correct (444/17.25) I see my average is 25.7 QSOs per hour. This
rate doesn't hold a candle to all the blow-torches running around the
state operating mobile! :-) But mine are all S&P QSOs, so I'm good with
that!

A final note, I uploaded a "new & improved" FQP Log Analyzer a few
minutes ago. Look for Rev 2.0.9 in the top level directory using the
link below. I added a "2018 Spelling Bee" table to the Uniques worksheet
and this tabulates the number of QSOs found in your log for each 1x1
call sign.

(Please remember you need to download these workbooks to your local
drive because the online Excel software does not support the advanced
VBA macros used in these tools.)

Here's the link to all the Excel workbooks for Florida:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D96C61FEB759DC6E%211266&cid=D96C61FEB759DC6E

Overall I enjoyed this year's event. Thanks to everyone involved with
putting the FQP on the air again this year!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

---