[FQP] [FCG] We're Baaaaack ... (pun intended)

George k5kg at k5kg.com
Sat Apr 21 16:16:52 PDT 2018

		Great to have you and Marty back in the running!
Geo...

		George WagnerSarasota, FL

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 6:23 PM -0400, "charlie carroll" <k1xx at k1xx.com> wrote:

Around the time of Orlando, it looked like I probably was not going to
be able to do the 2018 FQP owing to some back surgery planned for
mid-March.  Then, plans really went south when my usual FQP partner,
W1MD, ended up on a field assignment out in Colorado.

But, as they say, good things come to he who waits.  Surgery went well
and my recovery has been better than expected.  Last week Marty told me
that his TDY to CO was cut short and he'll be home over the FQP
weekend.  Need I say more!

As some may remember, we had an antenna casualty last year that cut out
trip short.  Didn't even get out of Escambia county.  So, as in the
past, we're going to start in Escambia on Saturday and do all of the
rarer Gulf counties.  Sunday morning we'll start heading south and hit
the Monroe/Collier/Miami-Dade junction in the noon'ish area, ending in
the Osceola/Brevard area at the finish of the contest.  I'll publish the
full route in the next few days.

Back to the antenna for a second; last year's casualty came when we hit
some low tree limbs and railroad bridge.  Fortunately, I'd already sent
the antenna off to Tarheel for a refurbishment. Remember all those good
things I spoke about?  Well, earlier this week I was cleaning a closet
in preparation for some family visitors after FQP.  Stuck in a corner I
found 4 Hamsticks and associated whips that I'd brought home after my
father went SK about 10 years ago.  If the Tarheel acts up, I'll be
carrying hot spares ready to go up on the roof.

And just to top off this whole change, we've even managed to contact
Willy Billy Four Willy Billy and meet for dinner Friday evening in the
boon docks of Escambia county.  BBQ here we come.

73 charlie, k1xx & marty, w1md