[FQP] Fourth year of FQP... 5 is looking shaky

Kevin neonhomer at gmail.com
Mon May 1 13:45:26 PDT 2017

Well, this was my fourth year participating in the Florida QSO Party. After
this weekend, I am not sure if I will be doing a fifth.

I did SSB mobile, and band conditions were horrible. We'd hear a contact
come booming in, loud, clear and strong. We'd barely make the QSO and poof,
he was gone.  I don't think it was our setup, as we were using a Buddipole
20m dipole @ 18' and a Icom 706MkIIG radio. Just didn't seem like there
were very many people out to make contacts with the SSB Mobile stations.

The only thing that will probably keep me doing the FQP next year is the
group of guys I go with. Bunch of excellent people, great friends to have,
and, to this newer ham (licensed in May of 2011) excellent Elmers to know
as well!

I think out of two days and 8 counties, we did maybe 52 QSO's (our CW guys
did about 400). Like others have said, I'm about hoarse from calling CQ so
many times (to the point I started getting creative with how I said the
callsign!)

Here's to the 2017 FQP... May the 2018 FQP be a little better!

Kevin Bess
KK4BFN

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are..."